Golf and Chiropractic are a natural fit. For years, golf back pain has been accepted by golfers as some kind of badge of honour. But now golfers everywhere are beginning to realize the benefits of having regular Chiropractic care to treat their golf back pain.
Swinging a driver or a 3 iron at speeds of up to 80kms/hr while turning, twisting and pulling can be extremely traumatic to the entire torso let alone just the lower back.
The golf swing isn’t the only aspect of playing the sport that causes golf back pain. There is a lot of walking in golf. In addition at other times you have to swing and torque your body while positioning yourself on unstable surfaces like hills, tree roots, or sand. Also there is a lot of standing around in golf, and when someone stands they usually shift weight to one side of their body. This tends to tighten muscles on one side while relaxing muscles on the other side. Next, the player moves to the tee box and soon starts swinging away again, causing trauma to both sides. Once he finally makes his way to the green he is then bent over lining up and standing awkwardly over the ball while trying to sink a putt.
When a player experiences back pain during a round of golf, their scores suffer and their enjoyment is taken away from the game. Back, neck, shoulder and elbow pain will sabotage any golf swing and ruin the golf experience. Regular Chiropractic care not only accomplishes the goal of injury treatment and prevention, it can greatly improve a player’s game and score. Healthy, strong, and loose backs perform better on the golf course.
There are a number of ways a golf Chiropractor can take care of the golfer and enhance his golf experience, including:
- Spine, neck and shoulder adjustments
- Preventative swing advice
- Rehabilitation exercises
- Stretching exercises
- Muscle stimulation
Golfers rarely consider the damage that the sport’s repetitive, torqueing movements inflict on their backs, necks and shoulders. Neither are most recreational golfers proactive about preventing injury to these areas and improve performance. While many golfers now see a Chiropractor after injury, some are discovering that seeing a Chiropractor before injury is the key to playing round after round without pain.
A Chiropractor can give you proactive care, strategies and advice that can serve as the foundation for realising your full potential on the golf course while offering the opportunity of playing your best golf safely and injury-free for an entire lifetime.
Stretch of the Month
- Position your feet shoulder width apart.
- With your arms extended and in front of you, lower your body by bending at the knees and raise back up.
- Repeat this 10 times.
- For a more advanced stretch stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your golf club at an arm’s length in front of you.
- Now cross your right foot over your left knee and begin to ease your buttocks down until it is parallel to the ground.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds and then repeat with other leg.
Don’t let the cold get you down. Use these tips to stay fit and healthy!
- Make sure to drink plenty of fluids, such as water, herbal teas, fresh juices or warm water with honey and lemon, to keep hydrated.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet. This will ensure that your body is receiving the right nutrients to support your immune system.
- Stay fresh – air flow helps to remove stale air and can also help to clean your air passages.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep, at least 6 – 8 hours per night to function at your best.